September 16, 2010

Pointillism

I want to offer you a new unit I designed for my Art through English subject, it’s aimed at 11-12 year-old students.

The language contents I deal with are: vocabulary about sea animals (you can choose another topic), there is/are, present continuous and descriptions.

The Art contents are: Pointillism /ˈpɔɪntiˌlɪz(ə)m/, Seraut as a pointillist and space recreation.

In the first stage I give students a sheet with sea animals. It’s possible to print it from the web page:


We work on the vocabulary and the pronunciation. Afterwards I give them a piece of paper with the following description:

In this picture you can see the sea and a thin line of sky. There are some animals resting in the depth of it: two starfish, a crab and a sea turtle. A big octopus, unconscious of the danger, is moving around and a shark is watching it. Some clown fish are swimming nearby. Three seahorses are playing around a group of plants.

Students have to draw the picture in a white sheet of paper. Instead of this description, teachers can make up their own using the vocabulary they want pupils to learn.

La Parade by Seurat
The next stage is about giving colour to the picture by using the Pointillism technique. In order to do that, students must understand the concept, look at some examples and study some Seurat’s works by using Internet. Some useful links are:

Apart from sea animals we can also introduce activities in the sea and means of transport. What can you do in the sea? I can sail, I can swim, I can go snorkeling, I can go fishing… How can you travel in the sea? I can travel by ferry, boat, ship, …

 





Once they finish the picture, each of them will do a different Pointillist scene and they will describe it in English in the classroom.

It’s possible to add a new stage to this project. It will deal with colouring a portrait using Pointillism in Microsoft Paint.





No comments:

Post a Comment